Paying attention to your vehicle is essential in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the topic we are going to discuss on this webpage, one of the indications that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford Fiesta. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Ford Fiesta?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Fiesta signify?
We will begin our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford Fiesta, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Fiesta?
To start with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Ford Fiesta is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Fiesta is made from different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Fiesta
In fact, you can simply feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Fiesta
Now we move on to the part that you are almost certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Fiesta? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Fiesta can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Ford Fiesta to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Fiesta: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Ford Fiesta?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Fiesta?. The answers will depend on the deficiencies you are going through. Firstly, pass your Ford Fiesta to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Fiesta, don’t hesitate to examine our guideline which details the steps to take. Once you have determined the cause of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Fiesta:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Ford Fiesta, do not hesitate to consult our Ford Fiesta category.