Monitoring your automobile is very important nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the topic we are gonna discuss in this article, one of the symptoms that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford F 150 . In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Ford F 150 ?.
What does the ABS light on Ford F 150 signify?
We will start our article content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Ford F 150 , for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford F 150 ?
To begin with, it is fundamental to describe to you what the ABS of your Ford F 150 is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford F 150 is composed of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford F 150
The fact is, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford F 150
Now we move on to the part that you are likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford F 150 ? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford F 150 can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Ford F 150 to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford F 150 : If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Ford F 150 ?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford F 150 ?. The answers will might depend on the failures you are encountering. Firstly, pass your Ford F 150 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford F 150 , don’t hesitate to go through our article which details the steps to take. Once you have located the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford F 150 :
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Ford F 150 , go to our Ford F 150 category.