Paying attention to your car is vital in these modern times, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the subject we are gonna discuss in this article, one of the signs that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Ford Expedition. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Ford Expedition?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Expedition mean?
We will commence our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Ford Expedition, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Expedition?
To begin with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Ford Expedition is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Expedition is composed of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Expedition
The fact is, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Expedition
Now we proceed to the part that you are most likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Expedition? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Expedition can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Ford Expedition to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Expedition: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Ford Expedition?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Expedition?. The solutions will depend on the failure you are experiencing. First of all, pass your Ford Expedition to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Expedition, don’t hesitate to examine our guideline which explains the steps to take. Once you have discovered the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Expedition:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve detected an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more tutorials on the Ford Expedition, go to our Ford Expedition category.