Watching your automobile is imperative in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the indicators that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Fiat 500. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Fiat 500?.
What does the ABS light on Fiat 500 mean?
We will start our article content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Fiat 500, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Fiat 500?
First of all, it is essential to explain to you what the ABS of your Fiat 500 is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Fiat 500 is consisting of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Fiat 500
The fact is, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Fiat 500
Now we go forward to the part that you are most probably more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Fiat 500? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Fiat 500 can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Fiat 500 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Fiat 500: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Fiat 500?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Fiat 500?. The solutions will rely upon the deficiencies you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Fiat 500 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Fiat 500, don’t think twice to browse our article which explains the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Fiat 500:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve detected an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Fiat 500, go to our Fiat 500 category.