Monitoring your automobile is imperative nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the subject we are gonna focus on today, one of the signs that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Dodge Ram. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Dodge Ram?.
What does the ABS light on Dodge Ram mean?
We will begin our paper with the definition of an ABS warning light on Dodge Ram, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Dodge Ram?
First of all, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Dodge Ram is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Dodge Ram is composed of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Dodge Ram
The fact is, you can simply experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Dodge Ram
Now we proceed to the section that you are almost certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Dodge Ram? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Dodge Ram can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Dodge Ram to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Dodge Ram: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Dodge Ram?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Dodge Ram?. The solutions will depend on the deficiencies you are having. To begin with, pass your Dodge Ram to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Dodge Ram, don’t hesitate to read our content which points the steps to take. Once you have discovered the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Dodge Ram:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Dodge Ram, take a look at the Dodge Ram category.