Keeping an eye on your car is fundamental nowadays, in truth, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are gonna focus on in this article, one of the signs that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Dodge Nitro. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Dodge Nitro?.
What does the ABS light on Dodge Nitro signify?
We will commence our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Dodge Nitro, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Dodge Nitro?
To start with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Dodge Nitro is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Dodge Nitro is made up of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Dodge Nitro
The fact is, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Dodge Nitro
Now we move on to the part that you are most likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Dodge Nitro? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Dodge Nitro can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Dodge Nitro to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Dodge Nitro: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Dodge Nitro?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Dodge Nitro?. The solutions will could depend on the deficiencies you are enduring. First of all, pass your Dodge Nitro to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Dodge Nitro, don’t be reluctant to go through our article which details the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the cause of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Dodge Nitro:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Dodge Nitro, take a look at the Dodge Nitro category.