Watching your vehicle is vital in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is exactly the theme we are gonna talk about in this article, one of the indicators that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Dodge Grand Caravan. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Dodge Grand Caravan?.
What does the ABS light on Dodge Grand Caravan indicate?
We will begin our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Dodge Grand Caravan, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Dodge Grand Caravan?
To start with, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your Dodge Grand Caravan is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Dodge Grand Caravan is composed of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Dodge Grand Caravan
In reality, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Dodge Grand Caravan
Now we go forward to the section that you are probably more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Dodge Grand Caravan? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Dodge Grand Caravan can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Dodge Grand Caravan to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Dodge Grand Caravan: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Dodge Grand Caravan?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Dodge Grand Caravan?. The solutions will be based upon the deficiencies you are encountering. Firstly, pass your Dodge Grand Caravan to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Dodge Grand Caravan, don’t hesitate to examine our guideline which explains the steps to take. Once you have found the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Dodge Grand Caravan:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Dodge Grand Caravan, do not hesitate to consult our Dodge Grand Caravan category.