Monitoring your automobile is essential nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the topic we are gonna talk about in this article, one of the symptoms that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Dodge Durango. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Dodge Durango?.
What does the ABS light on Dodge Durango mean?
We will commence our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Dodge Durango, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Dodge Durango?
To start with, it is necessary to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Dodge Durango is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Dodge Durango is made from several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Dodge Durango
In truth, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Dodge Durango
Now we move on to the part that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Dodge Durango? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Dodge Durango can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Dodge Durango to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Dodge Durango: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Dodge Durango?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Dodge Durango?. The solutions will might depend on the failure you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Dodge Durango to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Dodge Durango, don’t be reluctant to examine our guideline which details the steps to take. Once you have found the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Dodge Durango:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more guides on the Dodge Durango, go to our Dodge Durango category.