Watching your automobile is essential in these modern times, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the subject we are going to focus on today, one of the indicators that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Dodge Challenger. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Dodge Challenger?.
What does the ABS light on Dodge Challenger signify?
We will commence our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Dodge Challenger, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Dodge Challenger?
First of all, it is important to describe to you what the ABS of your Dodge Challenger is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Dodge Challenger is consisting of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Dodge Challenger
In fact, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Dodge Challenger
Now we proceed to the part that you are likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Dodge Challenger? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Dodge Challenger can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Dodge Challenger to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Dodge Challenger: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Dodge Challenger?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Dodge Challenger?. The solutions will be based upon the failure you are enduring. To begin with, pass your Dodge Challenger to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Dodge Challenger, don’t hesitate to go through our content page which points out the steps to take. Once you have established the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Dodge Challenger:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Dodge Challenger, take a look at the Dodge Challenger category.