Keeping an eye on your car is essential in these modern times, in reality, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the subject we are gonna talk about on this webpage, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Dodge Caliber. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Dodge Caliber?.
What does the ABS light on Dodge Caliber signify?
We will commence our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Dodge Caliber, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Dodge Caliber?
To begin with, it is important to describe to you what the ABS of your Dodge Caliber is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Dodge Caliber is consisting of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Dodge Caliber
In truth, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Dodge Caliber
Now we proceed to the section that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Dodge Caliber? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Dodge Caliber can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Dodge Caliber to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Dodge Caliber: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Dodge Caliber?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Dodge Caliber?. The answers will be contingent on the failure you are encountering. First of all, pass your Dodge Caliber to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Dodge Caliber, don’t think twice to read our article which explains the steps to take. Once you have discovered the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Dodge Caliber:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
In the event that you have any further questions about the Dodge Caliber, do not hesitate to consult our Dodge Caliber category.