Watching your automobile is imperative nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is exactly the theme we are gonna discuss today, one of the signs that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Volt. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Volt?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Volt mean?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Volt, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Volt?
To start with, it is fundamental to explain to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Volt is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Volt is composed of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Volt
In fact, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Volt
Now we proceed to the part that you are most likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Volt? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Volt can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Chevrolet Volt to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Volt: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Chevrolet Volt?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Volt?. The solutions will be based upon the failures you are going through. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Volt to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Volt, don’t be reluctant to browse our content page which details the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Volt:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more guides on the Chevrolet Volt, go to our Chevrolet Volt category.