Paying attention to your automobile is essential nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the topic we are going to talk about today, one of the signs that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Trax. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Trax?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Trax mean?
We will begin our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Trax, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Trax?
First of all, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Trax is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Trax is composed of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Trax
In fact, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Trax
Now we move on to the part that you are likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Trax? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Trax can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Chevrolet Trax to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Trax: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Chevrolet Trax?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Trax?. The answers will rely upon the failure you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Chevrolet Trax to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Trax, don’t hesitate to examine our article content which details the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Trax:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more guides on the Chevrolet Trax, go to our Chevrolet Trax category.