Keeping an eye on your car is vital in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the theme we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Traverse. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Traverse?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Traverse signify?
We will start our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Traverse, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Traverse?
First of all, it is important to explain to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Traverse is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Traverse is made up of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Traverse
The truth is, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Traverse
Now we move on to the part that you are almost certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Traverse? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Traverse can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Chevrolet Traverse to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Traverse: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Chevrolet Traverse?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Traverse?. The answers will be based upon the failure you are enduring. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Traverse to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Traverse, don’t hesitate to browse our article content which points out the steps to take. Once you have discovered the cause of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Traverse:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Chevrolet Traverse, take a look at the Chevrolet Traverse category.