Watching your car is essential in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the subject we are going to discuss on this webpage, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Tahoe. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Tahoe?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Tahoe mean?
We will begin our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Tahoe, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Tahoe?
First of all, it is vital to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Tahoe is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Tahoe is composed of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Tahoe
In truth, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Tahoe
Now we go forward to the part that you are almost certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Tahoe? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Tahoe can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them motives the ABS light on your Chevrolet Tahoe to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Tahoe: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Chevrolet Tahoe?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Tahoe?. The answers will might depend on the deficiencies you are going through. Firstly, pass your Chevrolet Tahoe to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Tahoe, don’t think twice to go through our content which points the steps to take. Once you have located the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Tahoe:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Chevrolet Tahoe, go to our Chevrolet Tahoe category.