Keeping an eye on your vehicle is very important nowadays, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the indicators that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Malibu. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Malibu?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Malibu indicate?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Malibu, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Malibu?
To begin with, it is essential to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Malibu is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Malibu is made up of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Malibu
In fact, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Malibu
Now we go forward to the part that you are most certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Malibu? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Malibu can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Chevrolet Malibu to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Malibu: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Chevrolet Malibu?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Malibu?. The answers will depend on the failures you are enduring. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Malibu to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Malibu, don’t hesitate to go through our content which points the steps to take. Once you have discovered the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Malibu:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve spotted an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the Chevrolet Malibu, take a look at the Chevrolet Malibu category.