Paying attention to your automobile is imperative in these days, in fact, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are gonna discuss in this article, one of the signs that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Express. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Express?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Express mean?
We will begin our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Express, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Express?
To begin with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Express is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Express is made up of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Express
In reality, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Express
Now we proceed to the part that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Express? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Express can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Chevrolet Express to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Express: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Chevrolet Express?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Express?. The solutions will depend on the deficiencies you are enduring. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Express to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Express, don’t hesitate to examine our content which points out the steps to take. Once you have discovered the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Express:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Chevrolet Express, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Express category.