Watching your automobile is fundamental in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are going to discuss in this article, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Equinox. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Equinox?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Equinox signify?
We will commence our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Equinox, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Equinox?
To start with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Equinox is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Equinox is made up of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Equinox
The truth is, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Equinox
Now we proceed to the part that you are certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Equinox? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Equinox can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Chevrolet Equinox to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Equinox: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Chevrolet Equinox?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Equinox?. The solutions will could depend on the failure you are enduring. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Equinox to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Equinox, don’t hesitate to read our article which explains the steps to take. Once you have located the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Equinox:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve detected an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more guides on the Chevrolet Equinox, go to our Chevrolet Equinox category.