Keeping an eye on your vehicle is imperative nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is exactly the subject we are going to discuss today, one of the indicators that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Corvette. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Corvette?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Corvette signify?
We will commence our content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Corvette, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Corvette?
To begin with, it is essential to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Corvette is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Corvette is made up of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Corvette
In fact, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Corvette
Now we move on to the section that you are certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Corvette? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Corvette can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Chevrolet Corvette to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Corvette: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Chevrolet Corvette?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Corvette?. The answers will rely upon the failures you are going through. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Corvette to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Corvette, don’t think twice to examine our content page which points the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Corvette:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve spotted an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To discover more tips on the Chevrolet Corvette, take a look at the Chevrolet Corvette category.