Watching your automobile is vital in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the topic we are going to discuss in this article, one of the signs that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Bolt. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Bolt?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Bolt indicate?
We will commence our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Bolt, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Bolt?
To begin with, it is important to explain to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Bolt is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Bolt is made up of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Bolt
In truth, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Bolt
Now we proceed to the part that you are probably more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Bolt? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Bolt can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Chevrolet Bolt to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Bolt: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Chevrolet Bolt?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Bolt?. The solutions will might depend on the failure you are enduring. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Bolt to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Bolt, don’t think twice to read our guideline which explains the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the source of your trouble, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Bolt:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Chevrolet Bolt, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Bolt category.