Keeping an eye on your vehicle is important nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are going to discuss today, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Aveo. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Aveo?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Aveo indicate?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Aveo, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Aveo?
To start with, it is important to explain to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Aveo is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Aveo is composed of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Aveo
The fact is, you can simply feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Aveo
Now we move on to the section that you are most likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Aveo? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Aveo can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Chevrolet Aveo to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Aveo: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Chevrolet Aveo?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Aveo?. The solutions will depend on the failures you are going through. First of all, pass your Chevrolet Aveo to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Aveo, don’t hesitate to read our article content which points the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Aveo:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Chevrolet Aveo, go to our Chevrolet Aveo category.