Watching your vehicle is essential in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are gonna focus on on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Chevrolet Avalanche. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Chevrolet Avalanche?.
What does the ABS light on Chevrolet Avalanche mean?
We will start our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Chevrolet Avalanche, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Chevrolet Avalanche?
To begin with, it is necessary to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Chevrolet Avalanche is used for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Chevrolet Avalanche is consisting of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Chevrolet Avalanche
In fact, you can with ease come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Chevrolet Avalanche
Now we go forward to the part that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Chevrolet Avalanche? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Chevrolet Avalanche can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Chevrolet Avalanche to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Chevrolet Avalanche: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Chevrolet Avalanche?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Chevrolet Avalanche?. The answers will be based upon the failure you are encountering. Firstly, pass your Chevrolet Avalanche to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Chevrolet Avalanche, don’t hesitate to browse our guideline which points out the steps to take. Once you have discovered the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Chevrolet Avalanche:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Chevrolet Avalanche, take a look at the Chevrolet Avalanche category.