Paying attention to your automobile is vital in these modern times, in reality, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the topic we are going to discuss today, one of the signs that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Cadillac XTS. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Cadillac XTS?.
What does the ABS light on Cadillac XTS indicate?
We will begin our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Cadillac XTS, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Cadillac XTS?
First of all, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Cadillac XTS is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Cadillac XTS is composed of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Cadillac XTS
The fact is, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Cadillac XTS
Now we proceed to the part that you are most likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Cadillac XTS? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Cadillac XTS can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Cadillac XTS to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Cadillac XTS: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Cadillac XTS?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Cadillac XTS?. The answers will be based upon the failure you are enduring. First of all, pass your Cadillac XTS to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Cadillac XTS, don’t be reluctant to go through our article content which points out the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Cadillac XTS:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Cadillac XTS, do not hesitate to consult our Cadillac XTS category.