Keeping an eye on your vehicle is imperative nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is exactly the theme we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the indications that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Cadillac DTS. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Cadillac DTS?.
What does the ABS light on Cadillac DTS mean?
We will commence our paper with the definition of an ABS warning light on Cadillac DTS, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Cadillac DTS?
To begin with, it is fundamental to describe to you what the ABS of your Cadillac DTS is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Cadillac DTS is composed of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Cadillac DTS
In reality, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Cadillac DTS
Now we move on to the section that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Cadillac DTS? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is faulty. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Cadillac DTS can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Cadillac DTS to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Cadillac DTS: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will inevitably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Cadillac DTS?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Cadillac DTS?. The answers will rely upon the failures you are having. First of all, pass your Cadillac DTS to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Cadillac DTS, don’t think twice to go through our article which details the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Cadillac DTS:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Cadillac DTS, take a look at the Cadillac DTS category.