Paying attention to your car is vital in these modern times, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the signs that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Buick Regal. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Buick Regal?.
What does the ABS light on Buick Regal indicate?
We will commence our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Buick Regal, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Buick Regal?
To start with, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your Buick Regal is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Buick Regal is consisting of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Buick Regal
The truth is, you can simply feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Buick Regal
Now we go forward to the part that you are probably more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Buick Regal? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Buick Regal can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Buick Regal to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Buick Regal: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Buick Regal?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Buick Regal?. The answers will be based upon the failures you are having. Firstly, pass your Buick Regal to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Buick Regal, don’t hesitate to examine our article content which points out the steps to take. Once you have established the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Buick Regal:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more guides on the Buick Regal, go to our Buick Regal category.