Paying attention to your car is fundamental in these days, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to see your car withering away. This is exactly the topic we are going to talk about in this article, one of the signs that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on BMW X6. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on BMW X6?.
What does the ABS light on BMW X6 signify?
We will begin our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on BMW X6, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on BMW X6?
To start with, it is fundamental to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your BMW X6 is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your BMW X6 is composed of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your BMW X6
The truth is, you can simply feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on BMW X6
Now we move on to the part that you are most likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a BMW X6? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your BMW X6 can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your BMW X6 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your BMW X6: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my BMW X6?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my BMW X6?. The answers will be contingent on the failure you are experiencing. First of all, pass your BMW X6 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on BMW X6, don’t be reluctant to examine our article which points the steps to take. Once you have discovered the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your BMW X6:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve noticed an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to resolve the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
In the event that you have any further questions about the BMW X6, do not hesitate to consult our BMW X6 category.