Keeping an eye on your car is very important in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is exactly the theme we are gonna discuss in this article, one of the signs that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on BMW X4. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on BMW X4?.
What does the ABS light on BMW X4 signify?
We will begin our content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on BMW X4, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on BMW X4?
To start with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your BMW X4 is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your BMW X4 is consisting of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your BMW X4
The truth is, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on BMW X4
Now we go forward to the section that you are certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a BMW X4? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your BMW X4 can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them motives the ABS light on your BMW X4 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your BMW X4: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my BMW X4?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my BMW X4?. The solutions will might depend on the deficiencies you are enduring. Firstly, pass your BMW X4 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on BMW X4, don’t think twice to browse our content page which points the steps to take. Once you have determined the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your BMW X4:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve detected an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the BMW X4, take a look at the BMW X4 category.