Paying attention to your car is important in these modern times, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is specifically the topic we are gonna talk about in this article, one of the indications that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Bmw Serie 6. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Bmw Serie 6?.
What does the ABS light on Bmw Serie 6 mean?
We will begin our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Bmw Serie 6, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Bmw Serie 6?
To begin with, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your Bmw Serie 6 is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Bmw Serie 6 is consisting of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Bmw Serie 6
In fact, you can simply experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Bmw Serie 6
Now we proceed to the section that you are almost certainly more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Bmw Serie 6? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be knowledgeable that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Bmw Serie 6 can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them motives the ABS light on your Bmw Serie 6 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Bmw Serie 6: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Bmw Serie 6?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Bmw Serie 6?. The answers will depend on the failure you are encountering. To begin with, pass your Bmw Serie 6 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Bmw Serie 6, don’t hesitate to read our content which explains the steps to take. Once you have discovered the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Bmw Serie 6:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Bmw Serie 6, go to our Bmw Serie 6 category.