Watching your automobile is very important nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are gonna talk about on this webpage, one of the indicators that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Audi Q5. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Audi Q5?.
What does the ABS light on Audi Q5 signify?
We will commence our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Audi Q5, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Audi Q5?
To start with, it is vital to describe to you what the ABS of your Audi Q5 is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Audi Q5 is composed of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Audi Q5
The fact is, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Audi Q5
Now we proceed to the part that you are likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Audi Q5? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Audi Q5 can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Audi Q5 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Audi Q5: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Audi Q5?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Audi Q5?. The solutions will be based upon the failures you are having. First of all, pass your Audi Q5 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Audi Q5, don’t hesitate to examine our article which details the steps to take. Once you have determined the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Audi Q5:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Audi Q5, take a look at the Audi Q5 category.