Monitoring your vehicle is vital in these modern times, in reality, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the theme we are going to discuss in this article, one of the indications that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Audi Q3. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Audi Q3?.
What does the ABS light on Audi Q3 indicate?
We will start our content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Audi Q3, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Audi Q3?
To begin with, it is fundamental to explain to you what the ABS of your Audi Q3 is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Audi Q3 is made from different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Audi Q3
The fact is, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Audi Q3
Now we proceed to the part that you are most likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Audi Q3? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Audi Q3 can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Audi Q3 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Audi Q3: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Audi Q3?
We will now proceed to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Audi Q3?. The solutions will be based upon the failure you are going through. First of all, pass your Audi Q3 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Audi Q3, don’t hesitate to browse our article content which points the steps to take. Once you have determined the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Audi Q3:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Audi Q3, take a look at the Audi Q3 category.