Watching your car is vital nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the topic we are going to talk about in this article, one of the indications that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Acura TL. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Acura TL?.
What does the ABS light on Acura TL signify?
We will begin our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Acura TL, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Acura TL?
To begin with, it is essential to describe to you what the ABS of your Acura TL is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Acura TL is consisting of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Acura TL
In truth, you can with ease come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Acura TL
Now we go forward to the part that you are probably more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Acura TL? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Acura TL can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Acura TL to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Acura TL: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Acura TL?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Acura TL?. The solutions will might depend on the failures you are encountering. First of all, pass your Acura TL to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Acura TL, don’t hesitate to browse our article which details the steps to take. Once you have located the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Acura TL:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve detected an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more guides on the Acura TL, go to our Acura TL category.