Paying attention to your car is important nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the theme we are going to focus on in this article, one of the signs that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Acura MDX. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Acura MDX?.
What does the ABS light on Acura MDX signify?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Acura MDX, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Acura MDX?
To start with, it is vital to describe to you what the ABS of your Acura MDX is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Acura MDX is composed of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Acura MDX
In fact, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Acura MDX
Now we go forward to the section that you are likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Acura MDX? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be aware that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Acura MDX can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Acura MDX to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Acura MDX: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Acura MDX?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Acura MDX?. The answers will be contingent on the deficiencies you are having. Firstly, pass your Acura MDX to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Acura MDX, don’t be reluctant to go through our article content which details the steps to take. Once you have determined the cause of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Acura MDX:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve detected an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Acura MDX, take a look at the Acura MDX category.