Keeping an eye on your car is fundamental nowadays, indeed, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the topic we are going to talk about today, one of the indications that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Acura ILX. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Acura ILX?.
What does the ABS light on Acura ILX mean?
We will commence our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Acura ILX, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Acura ILX?
First of all, it is necessary to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Acura ILX is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Acura ILX is consisting of several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Acura ILX
In fact, you can very easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Acura ILX
Now we go forward to the part that you are almost certainly more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Acura ILX? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Acura ILX can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them motives the ABS light on your Acura ILX to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Acura ILX: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Acura ILX?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Acura ILX?. The answers will rely upon the failure you are going through. Firstly, pass your Acura ILX to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Acura ILX, don’t hesitate to go through our guideline which points out the steps to take. Once you have identified the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Acura ILX:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more tutorials on the Acura ILX, go to our Acura ILX category.